
We live in a funny nation.
I don't watch the news anymore because SO much garbage is on the news these days. For example: "breaking news, the middle east is still fighting.....in other news, paris hilton has a new man!". I also don't watch the news because the American media is VERY biased and censors a lot of stuff out of the news. They only tell the American public what they feel they should know. Some news channels (who will remain nameless) will rather count the bodies of dead American soldiers (1000) and cry over that than count the bodies of innocent dead Iraqi citizens (100,000) because an American life is obviously of more value than any others'.....in order to provoke feelings of patriotism (?) over a "war" which should've ended 2 weeks into it, using MY tax money for some BS! Btw a war means two people fighting! not one person bombing the hell outta the other person's country and killing civilians who don't even know their country is at war! I don't get it, but this is the world we are living in. I digress...
Recently, a certain senator published a book and in that book, he proclaimed that president Obama would be the first black president because he was "light-skinned” and had “no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." There was a whoooole lotta hoopla about this. This senator happens to be a Democrat so people were like huh? how are you gonna say that about a member of your party who just happens to be the President?? (God forbid this came from a republican). People called him racist and said this was a "slave remark" which, of course, led to an immediate apology from the senator saying he "deeply regretted his poor choice of words". Hmmm. Really.
I have read some news reports about this incident and a couple of things came to mind.
- Think about this comment for 5 seconds. I bet you your first thoughts (if you are black) are "How dare this white man?! have you not learned anything from the civil rights movement? how are you a democrat? what kinda racist ish is this??".......
Now think about this comment again but this time, change his skin color from white to black (not light-skinned either). Is this comment still racist? The answer is NO, it is not. Why is it not? because this statement is TRUE! Nowadays, if a white person even says the word negro in a sentence, he/she is racist.
- I dare you to name 10 prominent African Americans who hold government positions in the U.S. who have dark, not caramel or light, DARK skin. I'm talking about mayors, governors, senators etc. You can't because it doesn't exist. It is simply a FACT that in America, the lighter your skin tone, the further in life you will go. Whether you agree with me or not, that is just how the cookie crumbles. Look at the entertainment industry. Most of the more famous African-Amercians have a fairer skin tone. I'm not talking about athletes. I'm talking about musicians, actors and famous-for-nothings who have a household name and a recognizable face. Those who aren't fair and wanna be famous, bleach their skin to get there (SMH). Just ask Sammy Sosa, Lil kim and Michael Jackson (RIP). Why is this true? We harbor A LOT of internalized oppression which has been passed down for hundreds of generations. We have been brainwashed with the idea that fair skin is the epitome of beauty and because of this beauty, people will like you and vote you into office..again, i digress
-To me, this comment is not racist and is only seen as such because it is coming out of a white mouth. What annoys me about this is that when white people make such comments, they feel the need to conjure up a pretentious ass apology like they are actually sorry for what they said. You know damn well your ass is only sorry because you WILL be out of a job if you don't apologize. Much more derogatory and racist shit has been said by white people. I just don't think this man should be given this much heat for saying something that is actually true. Let's move on to more important things, like this Health care bill which is a mess and bringing back the troops, shall we?
i feel like i need to do this..
Disclaimer: I am NOT associated with any political party. i am NOT endorsing comments made by this senator. This is my opinion and mine only. My president IS black! :-)
peace&love
No comments:
Post a Comment