Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Priority

I know i've been quiet for a while. This is with good reason. I planned on posting a couple of quick notes at the beginning of November but i realize that every time i plan to write something, it never comes to fruition. My writing is always done spur-of-the-momently so i didn't have much to say in November. I also realized that a lot of the thinking behind my writing is done while i'm driving or while i'm in the shower. lol. On my drive home from work today, i started thinking about priority and the way we make a list of things that are a priority. The most important ones are always at the top of the list *Pause*

Before i continue, i must take some time to acknowledge today 12/1/2010. World AIDS day. A disease and cause which is near and dear to my heart. Also, one of the reasons i am on this career path.

Now that we have that over with, back to the post

Priorities. I was driving and thinking about things we consider important. Using myself as an example, my family, education and my faith are the top 3 of my priorities at this point in my life. After those three, my friends, my sorority and everything else falls in any order after that. I thought about the way people determine what is important enough to be made a priority. And then i switched lanes and was still thinking about the same thing. I started thinking about where i fall on certain people's priority list. I started with my mother. I know i am pretty high on her list of important people. At least i hope i am (lol). It is obvious that my family members consider me a priority because..well...they are required for the most part. Then i thought about my friends. Where do i fall on their priority list? I know a lot of people but i only have a handful of people i call my friends. I thought about those people and quickly realized that i am not as high on their list as they are on mine. I like to think of myself as someone who is important enough to be a priority to everyone i call my friend or family. I admit that this is rather cocky or conceited of me but it's how i feel. I also came to the sad realization that i am not as important to everyone i interact with as i would like to be or think i am. I'm a priority to a few and an option to a few more. That is perfectly fine. I have no problems with that arrangement.
I have noticed that conflict arises when people tend to think they are more important than they actually are. One person gets angry or upset that their friend doesn't call them to go out and eat or hang out or confide in them as much as they would like to. The quickest remedy to such a dilemma is to know that there is no way you can be important to everyone. If you were, you would be God lol. Another situation which is even harder to overcome is when you used to be important to someone but they don't quite see you in the same light anymore, meanwhile you consider them very important. You scratch your head and wonder why it is this way. You don't get the same attention and you don't feel the same warmth you used to feel with this person. This sucks but like wounds, time heals all. On day one, it's a bleeding wound with a lot of pain. On the next day, it is dry and the pain is gone. After a while, you get a scab and before you know it, that person is the last thing on your mind. It doesn't work this way for everyone. When some people make you a priority, you are a priority for life! I admire those people and i truly wish i was this way but once someone stops considering me important, I try to figure out why the sudden change. If i have no answer, I leave it up to God and keep it moving. That's how i deal with this priority thing. These are just my thoughts on the topic...

peace&love

No comments:

Post a Comment