It is VERY different from Accra here. It is a village so
there is not much to do at all. I honestly cannot wait to get back to Accra. I
already miss it so much and was getting pretty comfortable before I had to pack
up and leave. Luckily, I am here for
just a few days. This place wouldn’t be too bad if there was something to do or
if I knew people who lived here. I am here for the next two weeks….counting
down the days. I hope it gets better.
Men and women dress in half Ankara wear to work here. Men
wear an Ankara shirt with dress pants and women wear Ankara dresses. This is
their business casual. I absolutely LOVE this.
Meeting protocol is very relaxed. If a meeting is scheduled
for 9am, there’s a very high chance the meeting will actually start at 9:45am.
Expected. People do not put their phones on silent and are free to answer
personal phone calls in meetings. Also expected. People are very respectful of the
supervisor/director. Directors are addressed with their title. For instance,
John Smith, Director of regional health center will be addressed as “Director
John” in casual conversation while at work.
One of the most beautiful images I’ve seen here have been
women riding motorcycles. Yes, i know. It sounds trite but i can't help but love it. Women here ride motorcycles as often as women drive
cars in the U.S. These women ride their motorcycles in their work clothes. Yes,
even in dresses and skirts. Other people may not see it as much but it is such
a powerful statement against traditional gender roles. Maybe it’s because I am
seeing this for the first time. I’m used to seeing motorcycle riders as
men. I understand that cars may be
expensive in Bolga and may be easier for women to travel using motorcycles as
they are more convenient. I have seen women carry their small children on these
motorbikes. It's awesome, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment