Part of growing up is questioning the standards that have been around since you were born. There was a time when i was about 14. I was just a few years in this country and i started to question my faith. Because of some of the things i learned at school, i asked questions like "is there a god?" and "if there is such a god, why is there so much suffering in the world? what's with all the wars and hunger everything else?" i asked these questions with a residing guilt. I thought i was sinning. Who was i to question the almighty? Who was i to question the longstanding beliefs and practices i grew up with? For my entire 14th year, i had doubts and would question things, even though i went to church every single Sunday.
i've come a long way from then. My faith is a lot stronger. I am a practicing catholic and have had the chance to go to different churches to see how they worship. I must admit, i am jealous of how some pastors in pentecostal or baptists churches deliver the sermon. I went to a non-denomination type church this sunday and loved every minute of it. The sermon was very applicable to real life situations and it really touched me. It had me seriously consider converting to a different church because catholic church here is too boring. I am used to a lively catholic church from back home and then to come here and it's just dull can make one really sad. One thing that i'm not sure i believe fully is the whole "speaking in tongues" bit as well as the grand exaggerations that some of these pastors make when telling a story. Maybe i have to experience it for myself to see that those things are possible(does this mean i am doubting the power of God?). Until then, i don't think i buy into all that. I really enjoyed what this pastor had to say. I decided to get closer to my bible and get more familiar with its passages.
Maybe this is another test of my faith? I felt like i was having an affair with another church behind my church's back. All i know is i am worshiping the same God that they are worshiping so really, what is the difference?? Isn't church just church at the end of the day? We are all aiming for the same destination, just taking different routes to get there.
peace&love
Monday, August 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment